Wednesday, June 11, 2008

GRAMPS

He is the other half of where my little brother gets his name from. FLORIAN GOLDMANN...but my entire life I have only called him, Gramps. If I had a favorite person in the world he would be it. And I am almost positive my brothers would be right there with me agreeing. Growing up with him as my grandfather was always and still is an adventure. There were crazy rides in the station wagon and the blue van, spotting birds and checking nests, weekend hunting trips, back yard baseball and basketball games and so much more. He was the one that built all sorts of things to entertain my brothers and I. Before the big Goldmann field was built in Beulah the almost fake looking green grass outfield was played on in his backyard. He put up a basketball hoop when my older brother was small and it has been there ever since. In the basement still hangs a nerf hoop and the scoreboard. That was Gramps...he was always on the move and when we were there...he was on the move double time. We never had to ask him to play with us, we were never bored at his house. Because each time we arrived it was like going to your best friends house...it was sure to be heaps and heaps of fun and always an adventure.

He was known in Beulah as the candy man, he use to fill all those .25 cent candy machines which meant his basement was filled wall to wall with buckets and buckets of candy....and my brothers and I could have would whatever we choose. When he would travel to our sporting events the candy and gum came with him and was shared by our teammates and it wasn't long before everyone knew him and loved him. Because of Gramps and Granny my brothers and I were blessed with one amazing childhood, teenhood and even adulthood. As we grew our love for him only grew and grew. Rain or shine you could always find him in the stands. His favorite sport was anything my brothers were plaing outdoors. I believe if he could watch my brothers play baseball over and over all day everyday he would be there. Long after the high scool days were over for my brothers you could still find Gramps and Granny in the Beulah stands cheering on the players that they knew and even after the awhile ones that they didn't. One of my favorite memories and prolli how I will always see Gramps is that look of pride that sweeps over him when he is over comed with emotions watching my brothers or seeing the field in Beulah that his son built and seeing his name telling everyone that drives by where they are at. He tears up alot when it comes to his children and grandchildren because he is filled with that much love that it actually pours out of him. And the best part is...he never runs out. He would give anything for our happiness-you don't even have to ask...thats just who he is. He is a simple man that values the simplest of things but really end up being the biggest and most important. Spending time with his family. When you give him a gift its like he is so grateful it doesn't even matter what it is--he is thanking you before he even opens it. Paul gave him a twins hat and you would think that hat was signed by Kirby or something because I never have seen someone wear a hat with so much pride...that goes with anything you give him...whether they be a pair of new pants or a shirt having to deal with a sporting team or supporting the teams my brothers were playing for...He is always moved to the point of tears...mostly just because someone took the time to think of him. I love to take his picture...one because he is the cutiest and most handsome looking guy and two because it doesn't matter if I take one photo or 50 he will thank you for taking his picture after each and everyone. Thats just who he is and always will be. He is 89 years old and he still is living the dream. He still goes goes goes. He drives to Beulah to take in baseball games and can be found pretty much every softball night cheering on my brothers...with a scorebook still in hand after all these years. He forgets sometimes but the way I see it...his past is filled with so much how could you possibly remember it all. He remembers what counts whether it be in pieces or all at once. He is still the same man that I have been blessed with calling Gramps all my life. He still has the biggest smile form across his face when my brothers and I walk into the room. He still jumps up and runs to give us a hug. He is still over pouring with love to give to his children, grandchildren and friends. He is still one of the most amazing people I have in my life and he will always be favorite. For when I look at him I feel and know one thing...and really the only thing that matters in this world...LOVE. We have been spoiled with having him here all these years and yet in my eyes and heart its still not enough and it won't matter if he is 89 or 99 he will always just be Gramps to me. And I will always be honored to be able to call him such a simple name that stands for everything but being simple. Happy Father's Day to a man that shows me everyday the kind of person I want to be, to a man that gives his love and time to those he loves each and everyday, to a man that has shared with me the secret of life...to give, to love and never taking one single day for granted, never taking one single person for granted...never taking anything on this earth for granted. I know that I am just who I am because of his love and this man felt that it was important to teach me and my brothers about life thru his love and example. We love you Gramps!!

No comments: