Monday, June 9, 2008

Granny




Granny...she was the most graceful woman I was ever blessed to have in my life. For all she is and was and will be is love. hope. grace. faith. Her arms were always open for a hug and her english voice was always so calm and steady. Her life was as simple as family and faith yet she was so so much more. There has not been a day that goes by that I don't think of her or miss her. She was more than just a grandmother to me...When I was little I spent ever weekend, holiday and summer with her and Gramps. As my brothers and I grew she was always there for concerts and every game I can remember whether it be baseball, soccer, basketball, football, volleyball or hockey she was always there in the stands cheering us on and giving the best rewards after the games...her hugs...her love. In many ways I am just like her...I have her passion for writing, her way of seeing the very best in people, and so much more. She is the type of grandmother I want to be someday but more so the type of person i want to be...want to be known as and remembered as. Its hard to believe she is gone...thou I know she knew how much I loved her and all that stuff sometimes I think that our 26 years together was not nearly enough. Thou I know so much about her, spent so much time with her-I feel like there could have been more to share. She never was just a grandmother to me and she never will be...she will always be more. When I went off to Australia it was Granny who wrote me every single week that I was there. During college it wasn't as much but I am willing to say that it was more than once a month. I miss her letters telling me all about life in Mandan-about the birds or the weather. I miss the heaps of newspaper clips that she would save for me because she knew I would love to read them and see them. When I go to the house that was once filled with her being is when I feel her the most. I love that house because so many memories are wrapped up into the floors and walls. I feel the love and see each moment come back to me. It was at that house that I first shared my love for photography and it was her that loved my work from the very start...many of my photos hang on their walls--what an honor that I feel knowing that she and Gramps saw so much in something I took. I look forward to the day where I reach the gates and see her standing there with a huge smile across her face...as she claps her hands and extends them out awaiting to give me a hug. We will have so much to share and talk about.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beautiful . . . I often find it hard to think she's really gone as well. She was wonderful. I can't claim nearly the time you can, but I loved her in the short time we had. Thanks for this post.