Sunday, April 11, 2010

Being...

"The Life I touch for good or ill will touch another life, and that in turn another, until who knows where the trembling stops or in what far place my touch will be felt." --Frederick Buechner

I pray that my touch has done more good than ill. I pray that I learn from the ill I have caused. I pray for forgiveness in these people's lives. I pray that I am not less of the person I believe I am thou I struggle, fail, fall, hurt, and make mistakes. I hope that its through these trials and hardships and the ill that I cause brings me the lessons and growth to become more. I often don't think of all the good I have caused or been apart. I am blessed during those times and grateful for having them but the moments that I truly think back on are those that lessons were given. Where growth must occur to overcome. Where forgiveness must be granted to let go.

We are human so we aren't perfect. Our main purpose is to live and learn. Through love. friendship. career. and just plain life. And I feel that being a good person is who we are when all the chips are down. When all the eyes have turned and aren't focused on you. Who are you when it counts? Who are you when the only eyes that are there are yours? Would you befriend yourself.

I don't know of the true affect my life has on another whether it be for good or ill. I don't know the meaning and weight my life has on another life. But I can forgive when I have been hurt. I can understand when I don't agree. I can listen when I don't know what to say. I can embrace and open up my heart when I have cried and lost. I can find laughter and smiles where they long ago faded. I can love and live in this moment then think of the hurt of yesterday. I can stay instead of leave. I can believe rather than give up. I have no control of others thougths or actions but I can be the friend I would want to have when I mess up. when I hurt. when I disappoint. when I fail and fall. when I struggle. And maybe just maybe thats what trying to be a good person is all about.

Its about finding away to rise above the ill that you have done or that has been done to you and say hey we are human we make mistakes. To find ways to love. give. understand. support. encourage. listen. forgive. Not just when its easy but when its hard. To see with eyes that see the person you truly know and love that person in times when that person is less than the person we know they are... Whether that person is a family member. a friend. a co-worker. OR ourselves. To love that person when it isn't easy. To forgive that person when they have touched your life with ill. I have hurt others and sometimes I have found that that hurt in the end touched my life deeper then theirs. For sometimes its our own forgiveness and love that is the hardest to be felt and known. Sometimes being a good person is forgiving ourselves. Letting ourselves off the hook(only sometimes). And loving ourselves knowing we aren't perfect, knowing we are learning just like everyone else in this world. Sometimes being a good person is being the friend to ourselves that we are to others. And most of the time being a good person is just being... Trusting that just being you is enough... and all you need to be. All they need you to be.

No comments: