Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Life with Clark, I mean MARK: Puala's Coffin

Puala's Coffin

When my mother reached the over the hill gang of 40, my father decided to throw her a surprise birthday party out at the lake. It was a pretty big party - the grim reaper made an appearance which happen to be her boss and the elementary school principal Mr. Schilke. Clark had lots of ideas that he turned into actions. His biggest surprise was in the making of something to house the keg he bought.

To make it a complete surprise he decide to make his creation up at the Swegardens' house (Jay and Janelle were both teachers for the Beulah Public School -Janelle taught second grade with my mother & Jay a high school english teacher). So off Clark went early one morning to the Swegardens'. He and Mr. Swegarden were busy in the back yard early in the morning. They were causing all sorts of racket, like a nosey neighbor would be, the lady next door peeked over the fence to see just what the commotion was all about... I believe what she found going on was utterly stunning & disturbing. It appeared they were building a coffin. The curiosity over came her and she just had to ask "What are you two making?" Without missing a beat Clark yells over "A coffin for my wife, however she's a bit taller so I will have to cut her just below the knees to make her fit." He then continued his work giving her no other explanation. A little while later just as he finished spray painting the last a in Paula onto the coffin under the already R.I.P. , he and Mr. Swegarden stood up the coffin and took a step back to admire their creation a coffin with a hole to house the keg. Clark was beaming with pride and a huge smile on his face... Until Mr. Swegarden (the english teacher mind you) said "isn't Paula spelt au... not ua??" Yup, Clark wrote Puala instead of Paula. He left it saying R.I.P. Puala... To this day my mother still is often called Puala.

No comments: