Sunday, March 14, 2010

11 years

"Our fingerprints don't fade in the lives we touch."

Its been 11 years. Yet I know he is still with us. 11 years without seeing his smile. 11 years without hearing his voice. 11 years with no advice- guidence- jokes or life stories. 11 years!

I don't think I will ever find a day where I won't think of this man, that I called Mr. Swegarden. I know I will never reach a day where I find myself not grateful not honored not blessed to have been one of oh oh soo many forever changed by having him in my life. I am one of soo soo many who still find the fingerprints he made in my life. His legacy lives on because of the lives he touched refuse to forget the change he made in us and the diffence he made in our lives. We honor him and his life because we carried on. We grew. We became. And I know he would be so pleased that the death of his life here wasn't the death of our life now.

I know he would be just torked at us if we didn't be the person he knew we were capable. I found out this lesson shortly after he left teaching and found that my grades in his class weren't what he thought I was capable of doing. While waiting for his daughter one morning to give her a ride to school, he had me come sit down next to him. and he told me that I can't just be the person I am fully capable and should always be at just certain moments or just for certain people. I have to be that person constantly! Esp when its hard and easier not to. That IS him thou always making sure we are always doing our very best and giving our very best. He wouldn't settle for slackers who were capable of being more.

Thank you Mr Swegarden for always demanding and expecting the very best from me not just in your classroom but more importantly life. Thank you Mr Swegarden for encouraging me, supporting me, believing in me and seeing what I am capable of doing and being and holding me to just that. Thank you Mr Swegarden for your greatest gift in my life... The friendship love and family I have found in your wife, Janelle and daughter, Jami. I realize the blessing, the greatness and importance of having these two gifts in my life. I hope more than anything I have been able to fulfill my promise to you and that I am able to always in the days and years to come.
And I hope that I am always being the person I am capable of being.

I hope you are enjoyin Paradise. We are missing you here!

"There are some who bring a light so great to the world that even after they are gone the light remains."

No comments: