Sunday, September 20, 2009

Miss. J

We all have those teachers, that well stand out. We all have those teachers who we tried at times not to let them know how much we liked them, when they had us in class. We all have those teachers who touched our lives and made a lasting imprint. When I think back on my childhood education, I have realize that I was pretty blessed to have such teachers, more than once. I could write about all of them, but this weekend I ran into my 6th grade teacher, Miss. Johnson. Seeing her helped bring back so many great memories. So naturally she's the teacher I'm talking about today.

I sat in Miss. Johnson's class 16 years ago... hard to imagine. But seeing her, it seems nothing has changed... Other than her last name from Miss Johnson to Mrs. Schaeffer. For she looks just as she did when I sat in her classroom, her hugs are the same, her kindness, and her beaming happiness are all just as I remembered. Talkin to her she claims I ran her classroom. She's prolli right but I don't really remember that. I just remember being comfortable around her and in her classroom. Which I have found thats what I need to succeed and to try again and again if well actually when I fail. In a very big way because I was provided that foundation in her classroom it gave me more confidence to just be me, to try as hard as I can and to work as hard as I can... and that would be all I need... She would take care of the rest. I know my class and myself were a bit out of control, but we loved being her students and we respected her as our teacher. I can't speak for the impact she made on my classmates but I can for the lasting difference she made in my life. She was the teacher that made each second of learning fun, even the challenging times. Which prolli won my complete respect right there.

I know I was a handful and a challenge many days and prolli too many times to count. But somehow she could always reach me, help me understand and learn. She never stop challenging me to learn and grow. I know it wasn't easy... Learning was well, never an easy thing for me, but she didn't give up on me...nor did she allow myself to give up. Those are the kinds of teachers that help change the world. Those of the kind of teachers that lay the foundation for people to be successful in life as well as in education. I couldn't tell you all that I learned from her regarding 6th grade education. But I can tell you that my journey in life and how I am as a person would be altered in a vast matter that I am sure of, if I never sat in her classroom. In 6th grade the last thing you see is a kid knowing the impact a teacher has on their life. I know I didn't say it or show it to Miss. Johnson then, to let her know just how grateful I was to be one of her students. Yet I have come to find out that there is no expiration date on such things. So I say it here and now... THANK YOU... for all you did... THANK YOU... for believing in me, for encouraging me, for supporting me, for not letting me give up, for not giving up on me and well on most days just putting up with me... THANK YOU... for laying a solid foundation on which I could grow upon.... THANK YOU... for showing me I did have wings--I just had to have the courage to use them... THANK YOU... for putting up with my troubled, challenging, wild and out of control ways at times. for always pushing me challenging me and knowing I could and will learn it-get it-reach it and understand it.... THANK YOU... for so many little things that made a big difference in my life... THANK YOU....It is true that some students----teachers remember forever... then it can also be said that some teachers----students remember forever.

No comments: