Wednesday, December 9, 2009

My BIG MAMA

I am a little late...BUT well on Nov 6, 2009 I was unable to post the blog I wanted to write. So today, a month and 3 days later I am writing it. I called and talked to her-which is what really matters on her Birthday! RIGHT!?!? But I will officially say it here now... Happy Belated Birthday Rebecca Jean Rodine-Undem!!

Rebecca aka Big Mama (and its not because she is BIG or at the time a Mama) OR Becca was my college roommate. We met in an Interior Design Class when I was a sophmore at North Dakota State. Thou we both switched majors soon after, it didn't matter the friendship was already formed and we knew it would last from then on out. The following semester we became college roommates...and for the remaining two years that Big Mama had til graduation as a Bison we lived together.

Oh the fun times we had. Some of my favorite memories of college ever were shopping at 3am at Walmart with her. Sometimes we were well a little impaired other times most prolli thought we came straight from the bars but in fact completely sober. Usually those were the times in Decemeber where we would go Christmas shopping for our apartment. One Christmas we had our very own Charlie Brown Christmas Tree-which I at a later date I decided to cut down and bag for removal with a streak knife...but thats a story for a different time and place. Living with Big Mama always meant singing Christmas music the day after Thanksgiving and having our radio tuned into the River 95.1 for 24/7 Christmas songs. To this day she calls me the day after Thanksgiving to sing the first Carol of the season to me. Gosh was the winter holidays a fun time with her and I.... and oh do I miss it!!

Becky was always a good influnce on me...for the most part. She could speak and understand Michellish from the start. She got my strange sense of humor. And for a person who was very private and didn't so much as like to discuss anything about myself--oh did she have a way of sucking info and thoughts out of me. Thou times have changed and distance is now between us...Becky has not changed one bit.

She is still kind, still a ball full a fun, still all about the holidays, still can suck out info and thoughts out of me, still can speak and understand Michellish...But now is also an amazing mom and wife. Two roles she was well...BORN to be! And I know first hand she rocks at both!! She has always been someone I can fully and completely count on and trust in. She has always been understandings, encouraging and supportive --esp when it comes to well my strange and most of the time random ways of living and thinking.

Today and ALWAYS Rebecca...I hope you know how every special you are. And what a true blessing you are to those who know and love you. I knew from the very moment I met you, that you were something special. And I am so thankful that we sat down next to each other and started talking... I am so thankful for all the memories I have with you, and all of the fun times we had together. I know we are both busy and life sometimes has different plans than we have in mind...but I know our friendship will never fade. Its like how I can count on year after year after year...that on Black Friday- my phone will ring and you will be there singing the first Christmas song of the season... thats our friendship...something we can both always count on... Love ya BIG MAMA...

No comments: