Monday, December 7, 2009

My Christmas Wish.

Maybe its the holidays, maybe its people making an extra effort to show kindness and compassion. Maybe its because everywhere I look I see a face smiling back at me. Maybe its because I hear thank you so much more. Maybe its because its around this time of year people are coming together and just enjoying the company of others. Maybe its because so many are realizing what this holiday it truly all about. Its just a blessing I guess you could say, to walk the streets and hear a happy holidays or merry christmas to you. You see....people for some reason get it around the holidays. They finally see that the best gifts they can give others is simply something that costs nothing and well can't be found anywhere but inside of your heart. They are saying such words as Thank you, Your welcome, I forgive you, I love you, I am grateful, I am blessed. Such words as I hope the coming year is gentle to you, I wish you a Merry Christmas...Happy Holidays....Its a smile from a stranger, its holding open a door, its giving a helpful hand....its these well simple simple simple things....that well in all honestly could be done all year along but for some reason most of the time you only see them around the holidays....YET in all honestly that is better than nothing.

I have had the blessing of having 28 Winter Holidays...soon to be 29...and there are soo many moments to choose from but one I would like to share...As a child, I remember goin to midnight mass in my grandparents church...Before this church remodeled...they had huge cement steps leading up to the church doors. And it was a Christmas tradition to gather on those steps at midnight --no matter what it was like outside-- and sing christmas carols...I will never forget one Christmas prolli when I was 9 or 10...standing on the church steps holding Granny's hand...and well as a girl of that age...I typically hated or at the very least couldn't stand my brothers...esp my kid brother. But that Christmas I remember not only was I holding my grandmother's hand but also one belonging to someone on most days who drove me to almost taking his life(my brother, Jacorian)...even then I realized that thou he was on most days a huge pain...in some strange way I was grateful that he was a pain in my life...because it meant he was in my life. OH course after the singing was over it went right back to him being a pain and me wanting to take his life... But it just goes to show you...Christmas has a million moments of people showing kindness, compassion, understanding, forgiviness and love....which in itself if you think about it...is truly remarkable....

Everyone has their favorite part of the holidays. Some its frosting cookies, decorating the tree, christmas shopping, wrapping the gift so perfectly...Some its the gathering of family and friends, some its midnight mass in a candle lite church.... Well I guess mine is a bit of all...but if I truly had to pick...its hearing the laughter bounce off the walls in a house filled with my family. My favorite part is to step back in the shadows and just watch...just hear...just feel... For I can see-hear and feel the love that has blessed my life. And sometimes I feel like my heart could just brust into two because in those moments it is soo filled with love and happiness...And that feeling right there...to me...thats what Christmas is all about.

So whats my Christmas wish this year...what do I want?? Well...I want someone to forgive someone they never thought they would. I want someone to hold open a door for a stranger. I want someone to hold their kid brother's hand and for at least ten minutes not have the urge to take his life :). I want someone to take a step back and for a moment truly see-hear and feel the love that surrounds them. I want someone to say thank you, your welcome, I forgive you, I love you. I want many many someone's giving the gifts that they have to offer that they carry in their hearts. WHAT a CHRISTMAS that would be if everyone showed understanding, kindness, compassion and love....not just to those they love and care about but to all....

No comments: