Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Taking the high road.

"Too many times for comfort I have expected to reap good when I know I have sown evil. My lame excuse is that I have not always known that actions can only reproduce themselves, or rather, I have not always allowed myself to be aware of that knowledge." -Maya Angelou

Often I find myself thinking I deserve this or that because of this reason and that. But the truth is that sometimes the only thing we get for doing the right thing is just that, doing the right thing. We shouldn't be entitled because of good deeds or good behavior. The truth of the matter is people get what they have coming. People will treat you how you treat them. Karma is out there trust me. I sometimes see people who think they belong high on a shelf. These are the people that do the right thing only when someone is watching. Its hard I know to do what is right - esp when no one is watching. It could be so easy to do this or that but in the end we are only cheating ourselves. It is ourselveswe have to live with. And that inner voice will do all sorts of things to our minds and bodies. Its a voice you can never reason with nor can you shut out. Most often than not we find ourselves in such a place because we are lazy or we just don't take the time to think before we act....

Taking the high road can be quite a long and consuming journey that can be beyond exhausting and very difficult. Not everyone can take that road. But when I get to that spot in the road where I meet someone that challenges me and makes me want to grab them right by the throat and shake them as hard as possible or at least slap some sense into them - I stop. I gather myself and just breathe. I take one big breath in and hold it to the count of ten and let it out. And say to myself its truly not worth it. Its not worth me dropping to their level and become less of the person I am only in return to make them more of a person that they are not. Attitude it truly does play a role in all of our actions.

So the next time you find yourself in that situation stop. And remember that if you are reaping evil you will only receive more. If you are acting in evil ways its only a matter of time til they become second nature to you. For I have found a good deed always follows a good deed and the same can be said about evil but in many cases its always doubled.

No comments: