Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Changes (of Hair)

After living 29 years as a blondie, I decide it was time for a change. Okay the real story is my brothers' and I decided to shave our heads in support of our mother having stage four breast cancer. Most would wait until she lost all of her hair. (Jacorian putting the finishing touchs on my new do - notice his head still fresh from the razor as well)
After watching it fall slowly out for a week or two we had enough, and decided that some people are leaders - others are followers. So Paula, found her three children with no hair - a first time ever because all of us had heaps of hair when we were born(this all happened early August). Our reason for shaving it was with hopes she would have
(Mom taking her turn and shaving the long golden locks off)
confidence to just shave it too. Above all when she would look around at the faces she sees the most she would see heads just like hers. (besides - if it was any of us, she would do the same without a second thought to it).
(WHY NOT make memories during a time we would rather forget)
It worked, and I think it helped her embrace a time in her life she would rather forget. Instead of crying she was laughing and smiling taking photos with her children. We decided to make lemonade out of the lemons life handed us.

Fast forward to the present time (Jan). My hair is now growing back, nice and thick. However there are some changes to my appearances. If you haven't seen me since I shedded my golden locks, there's a good chance you would pass me on the street and not even noticed it was me. These days my hair is coming in brown and get this it also has a redish tint to it. I guess that's what happens when you shave your head
(Showing off our new look. BALD is Beautiful)
for a red-head. I haven't had to have a hair cut since June. And it takes me a matter of seconds to do my hair in the morning. Its what I call simple life hair. And my costs for shampoo and conditioner have decreased because I don't go thru nearly as much as I had to use in the past. I have tried such hair styles as the Fohawk, the comb over, crazy bed head of a child, ball cap hair (you know after you have worn a hat for a long period of time), spiked - its kind of fun to say ya I wore my hair like that at one time.

Its all about embracing the changes of life- in this case hair. For it the end it was all worth it, and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. It pretty cool to say ya I shaved my head. Not alot of girls can say that they did it by choice.

(With my brothers Paul & Jacorian, loving our new looks perfect for the summer sun)
I will never forget what it felt like that night - it was the most liberating feeling I have ever felt. Almost like I was sticking it to the man - how ever that saying goes. Or maybe it was a feeling of honor - pride because I was taking a stand with and for a woman I utterly admire and hold to the highest regards. Whatever that word was that expressed that moment in time - it was a feeling I never want to forget for I know in that moment I was empowering a woman who has always empowered me. It was the very least I could do to show her my graditude, support and love. For now when we look back we can share in that time - a time where we all didn't have hair.
(If you ask Paul, Jacorian and I we would tell you our Mom has never looked more beautiful, eyes filled with faith-hope and love and a smile that is beyond beatiful. She's our reason... for our new looks and we were beyond proud to share in her darkness her journey and we love her to a depth that will never find an end. For we are better, we are more because we simply call this amazing woman, MOM.)

2 comments:

Walker said...

Now that's cool.
Your act gave your mother the courage see beyond her current situation and go with the flow.
Bet i bet she laughed her ass off when she first looked at you.

As for the hair itself, under the helmet i have dry curly hair and 20 years ago it hung down to my butt.
The day I cut it off the girls at the salon cried and i could once again bend my head forward to look at the ground.
Wet it felt like 40 pounds.
Conditioner cost me a fortune.
It wasn't until i cut it off could i afford to have kids just from the savings on conditioner.

Anonymous said...

That is awesome, talk about family solidarity, right on!