Tuesday, December 30, 2008

they are family too...

I spent the day shoveling my way thru ten inches of snow with my brother but my highlight came from spending time with Kobe. I recently went to the movie Marley and me...and well I am not sure if I was emotional from having to say goodbye to the mates but I think it was because I could relate to the movie. I am not a crier esp in a movie...this movie made me laugh and smile and not just cry but bawl to the point when I left the movie I felt like I left a funeral.

We got our first black lab puppy when I was in 2nd grade...Sounder was brought to our grandparents house by santa himself on christmas. When we met him the red ribbon that was tied around his neck was bigger than he was. Sounder was everything a first dog should be...he was perfect and he loved us unconditionally.

Then came Stormy when I was in junior high...and if dogs took the role of the order they came into our lives...Sounder was just like Paul...the oldest and darn near perfect. Stormy like me a bit more work-wild-naughty...a bit too much like me actually...then lastly Kobe who well is like Jacorian...the baby of the family who basically gets away with murder.

Getiing back on track...as I watched and played with Kobe I couldn't help but think just how easy it is for him to give of his love...he doesn't need anything in this life than a good pet or scratch behind the ears...if he is with one of us he is happy its as simple as that....he doesn't need a fancy house designer clothes or a brand new car...maybe just a good bone to chew on. Life is simple in the eyes of a pet...and the love they give is pure steady and unconditional.

I remember before I left for australia I ended up gettin a pretty bad flu bug that almost found me in the ER with a temp of 105...when my body went into shock because it was over heated Kobe wanted to be right by my side...and when my father wouldn't let him be where he wanted to be he growled at him and for the rest of the night he was right by my side.

When my grandmother died Kobe just knew he just sat right next to me and just let me pet him over and over. Animals just have a way of knowing when they are needed.

The love they give is rare and the kind that last long after they leave us. They teach us the simple lesson to love the people in our lives everyday in the same way. Asking nothing in return.

Kobe is a social dog..he loves his kennel in the car or in the hunting camper esp because that means he gets to come along...he gets to be with his family and favorite people. In fact once that dog knows we are going somewhere he wants to be in the back of the car and will start whinnin til he gets his way. But you can't help but smile because all he wants to do is just be with you.

What great lessons that can be learned from a dog or maybe even a cat. If you allow a pet to--they can make a difference and change your life...by the love they give you. For in the end they are not just a dog or just a cat...but they are family.

No comments: