Monday, April 13, 2009

In our corner

Its pretty funny when you have no clue what you are doing with your life...just how many people seem to think you do...I have no answers to this life yet I seem to turn my head every which way and find one of my 'punks' asking me for advice-for guidence...these moments mean everything to me...thou most of the time I think to myself...out of ALL the people they can be turning to...what in the world are they thinking picking me...but then I think why not me...for I have been someone who has always voiced to my 'punks' (my athletes) that they can come to me with anything anytime any place...whether we be in season or ten years after they left the court...my time with them doesn't stop once the season ends or when they graduate...in fact I would hope its just getting started...I have always been someone they ALL knew was in their corner...I have always been someone who believed in them...been someone who saw the person they truly are and growing into...I am not sure how I got to be so blessed to have such athletes in my life...I am not so sure how I got to be their Goldberggg...all I know is that I am glad I am...its one of the greatest parts of my life if not THE best part of my life...for when I am with them...even just in contact with them...they bring meaning and purpose to my life...

I look at photos over the years of coaching I have done thus far...and in most of the photos I am just a kid myself...I look more like a girl that should be dressing for the game than I do as an adult...maybe thats my source of connection...the fact I could pass as one of them...I know better thou for when it comes down too it...I just get them...I can relate...I can put myself in their shoes...I was never your 'normal' athlete...mostly because I could always see things thru a coach's eye...I was the kid that just did what was asked of her...not just because I was told to do it in the I said so tone...but because I knew the purpose and meaning behind what was asked of me to do...which is prolli why I can now relate to athletes in such a way...I can see things from their shoes as well as a coach's eye...I can bridge the two together...yet I know thats not my true strength...my true strength lies in motivating-inspiring and encouraging my punks...something that I don't take lightly...For I believe that every kid has greatness in them...I believe that every kid has potential deep inside them...I believe that a kid can do unbelievable things if they know they are backed up...if they know you believe in them as a person foremost and then an athlete or a student...Kids...you think they know...you think they don't care or need to hear such things...but they do...and its not something they just need to hear once or every now and then...

They are told to be perfect and not make mistakes esp in sports...and you find coaches harpin on them...but the truth is its thru mistakes-failures and mess ups...that we learn...that we grow...how can one do that if they are perfect?? I can be like any other coach in the heat of the moment...but when it comes down too it...that kid needs to hear that I believe in them...they need to know that I care for them as a person...For when you embrace that kid as a whole they will open up and feel comfortable...and thats when they will start to tap into their potential...their greatness...

I am around kids constantly...and I seem to never have any troubles...even with the trouble makers and rebels...who knows why this truly is...but I think it has a lot to do with giving them the same respect that you want them to give you...I think it has to do with letting the past stay in the past and having a clean slate (until they give YOU reason to think otherwise)...I think it has a lot to do with the fact of getting to know the kid...and then most of all believing in that kid...esp when he or she messes up...saying things like this doesn't make you a bad person you just made a bad choice...and now you have a chance to learn and grow from this moment...how many of us make mistakes...mess up...and I know we do it more than once or twice at times before we learn...kids are no different...and I am positive that if you believe in that kid and give them a safe zone where they can succeed and fail the same...they will grow...we ALL need someone in our corner...

No comments: