Saturday, January 31, 2009

Life just finds a way....

After a blue bird day on the mountain I reflect on my surroundings...I am beginning to realize that nature can speak to me but more importantly it speaks to my soul...and somehow it knows my soul like an old best friend...I am not sure how I can walk away thinking I had the best talk when I don't say a word...I don't know how its possible to find the guidence and direction I seek when not a word is spoken to me....yet somehow someway I stand at the summit and gaze around and take in my surroundings on Big Mountain...I take a deep breath and fill my lungs with the crisp mountian air, I inhale and exhale.... My breathin becomes slow and steady and my heart beats with ease...I am one with myself and my surroundings...I find my peace my grace my faith my hope my strength in this moment... I hope I never lose this connection that I feel with nature...I hope I always feel like one when I stop to let nature talk to my soul. I found that I no longer look at my surroundings the way I did when I was little or even yet how I might have just years ago...now I see the beauty that lies in everything my eyes take in...I see the beauty in the way the trees look like they are painted on a canvas. I see the beauty just as much in the rolling grass hills as I do as if I have taken in the mountains on the summit or if I was standing on the beach out on the coast. So much life lies in those moments...you stay in silence and let that moment fill you with peace....and you realize that somehow life just finds a way.

This fall I was hiking thru Glacier...when I looked at the landscape before me I noticed a patch of dry land with dead burnt black tree remains from a distance, part of the park that was destroyed in the 60's from a forest fire... As proceeded to hike closer and closer until I found myself in the spot my eyes had taken in...yet once I reached that area I realized it looked much different than what I thought my eyes had seen. The burnt black trees still remained but beneath the trees, life was growing...the small pines had popped up and have started to reach for the sky, there was fresh green grass that was mixed in with plants and flowers, it smelt of pine, dirt, nature and most of all...life...slowly but surely life has found a way to rebuild itself...it found a way to still carry on after what seemed like from a distances no life exsited there anymore....and there with my eyes to bare witness life was growing again. I will never forget those two moments...how I was so sure of what I saw from a distance and how wrong I had been. I will never forget baring witness to nature and how life always just seems to find a way. Even when someone might not believe in it or has given up on it. Before that fire there laid so much beauty but perhaps after being burnt down and being forced to rebuild they are capable of creating growing and being so so much more. Than I ever thought or you and maybe even nature itself. You just have to let it take its course...

For in the end life truly just finds a way.

1 comment:

shonna said...

I love this blog- I think because I also find that deep connection with nature and it is so important to me. I find that if I haven't got it in a while, I really miss it, and crave it- I feel most like myself in nature too. You describe it so well- thanks!