Tuesday, June 4, 2013

37 years...

June 4, 1976 - 37 years ago today my mom dressed in a simple beautiful bridal gown - looking ever so the part of the elegant forever timeless classic bride - my father in an all white tux with his flashy white smile golden curls and sun brozed tan said I do and vowed to stay side by side from that day forword.  They sealed the deal  with a kiss a pair of gold bands and lit a candle to John Denver's Annie Song.  They started that day 37 years ago as calm and collective Paula Koch and wild and rebellious Mark Goldmann they ended that day as Mr. and Mrs. Goldmann. June 4, 1976 to June 4, 2013 my parents have spent roughly 13,505 days together (give or take leap day).
Some days I am sure they questioned if they would ever make it this far...but they did. I am sure many are shocked to believe that they have. They wouldn't be what you called the picture perfect couple that you would have in mind that would make it work...and maybe just maybe thats just why it did work or has work. My mom the straight laced perfect a's play by all the rules proper gal and my father the complete opposite. The story has been told that my grandparents (my father's mom and dad) have thanked her numorous times for saving my father's life putting a ring on his finger gave him direction and responsiblities but I will say didn't tame or change him into someone else by any means. My father is just just as crazy just a wild and just as Mark as he always has been what changed him was the love and life he and my mom built together. A life that has been filled with joy and with some sorrow. With laughter and some tears. With some great times and some low times. A life that they brought three children into and centered their entire beings around those children and that family of 5. A life that has brought some challenging times especially in the last few years as we have battled cancer. A life that has seen change and growth. A life that has expanded to welcome a daughter and a grandchild.
 A life that has had the best hunting partners in Sounder, Stromy, Kobe, Champ and Gauge. A blessed life it has been. 37 years is well quite a journey to spend with someone and I believe and know because I have witnessed it - it has gotten better with each day. I have seen my parents grow close as they journey thru this life still side by side after all these years. Thou cancer can rob us of so many things I firmly believe it has brought my parents even closer. I still see the look of love in my mother's eye and the smile of love on my father's face when they are sharing a moment. Still holding hands when they walk. Ya the love is still there and its still blooming.

If there is one thing I can take away from watching and being a part of my parents' love story is you have to have laughter and allow happiness in at all times in life. There is never a wrong time. My parents not only find the joy in life they make the joy in their life. No one can make my mom laugh quite like my father. And no more can get my father to do the things he isn't so pleased to do than my mother. For two people that well can be stubborn they bend for each other. They have always lead by example that family is their number one priority. They have both given things up for the greater good of their family. And because of such love my brothers and I were brought up on good family values and are able flourish because of the solid foundation in which we were raised upon. I realize the great blessing this is because not all children are as blessed to have such a strong family structure. Life has not been all sugar and spice and everything nice nor will it ever be but I believe because of the example my parents have set and lived by that life always has happiness. Sometimes that happiness is easy to find or have other times it takes a change in view point and a change in attitude. Something else my parents both live by is the attitude in which you face life and treat others with is one of the most important tools you have.  I know through out life my mom and dad had many a times where it was straight up hard but never once did they let those hard times affect their time being parents to my brothers and I. Even when they were beyond busy with household tasks and career work they still were able to set it all aside and be present in our lives. That was a commitment they both had that if they were to have children raising those children would be a partnership in which each person would be held accountable. I remember my father being there just as much as I remember my mother being there through out my entire childhood.  Over 13,000 days as husband and wife is quite the journey and I believe its a journey they both would chose to do all over again if given the chance. But most importantly its a journey that they are both still very much commited to. They are still living and writing their love story. Side by Side thru thick and thin thats my mom and dad.  Happy 37th Anniversary to two people that define such words as marriage. love. and commitment. May you have many many more. Love to you both.
***There is a certain song by Martina McBride that I often hear and think yup that speaks the love story of my parents. Its a song to me that speaks to both of them and speaks of the love they share. They may not have the top of the line must have things in life - they may not be seeing all the things on this earth but they have something even better than all that... They have each other. They have a life together. They share a love that not many are lucky to find nor keep. And that well thats pretty darn special pretty darn rare.***

1 comment:

Mom said...

Oh my your words bring tears of pride to my eyes. You are a blessing to both of us. Love you and the kind words you always write about us. You and your brothers are the most precious things we could ever imagine - each of you in your own way. Right now I don't have the words to express how proud we are of you. :)