Saturday, March 28, 2009

My first Packer Punk

Every coach has that first athlete... the first athlete they ever coached... and formed that connection with... that life bond with that goes outside of the volleyball and basketball court... that carries on after the seasons-even after the game is all done....I refer to my athletes as my punks... and well I have alot of them... yet I can't wait to have a lot more...each so different... each coming into my life-and I realize that I am not the only one who is coaching... I am also learning from each and everyone of them... As a coach you don't have favorites... and if you do you certainly never voice them...but as a coach you remember that first... and you know you will never forget that first punk... because that punk is the reason why you want to coach... why you want a million more punks in your life... Well my first packer punk was a girl by the name of Jamie Green.... now I got to have quite a bond with many of those girls when I started coaching junior high volleyball and basketball...but Jamie ended up being on my volleyball and basketball team... so my time with her was a bit longer than the rest... I am proud to say I have watched her, Whitney, Sadie, Amanda, and Jill grow from junior high all the way thru high school. I am proud that I have a bond and a special connection with all the Punks I have coached. With Jamie... I knew from the very first moment I met her... she was special... and I knew she would be apart of my life forever. Over the years I have been apart of her life and her apart of mine I have come to realize that she is like my punk of a little sister. And I am so honored to have her in my life and for me to be apart of hers.

She can always be found with a smile on her face...she's a hard worker-she's positive-she has more strength and will in her than she even realizes. She's the type of kid that you wished you had about 5 or 6 more of her when you are coaching...because she is just so coachable...something that lacks in many kids I have found from time to time...but with her...you tell her to do something-show her how to do something...and she will do it...no questions or complaining...she just does it. She doesn't back talk or talk negative...Now don't go thinking she's perfect...I love the punk but she has her downfalls...yet all I seem to see is her thru it all. My hope is for her to fully and competely believe in herself...in her potential not just in sports but more importantly in life-in herself as a person. I hope she sees the greatness that lies within her... and more than anything I hope she lets that greatness out... I hope she can one day see herself as I see her...she is capable of so much... things she never thinks of... of reaching dreams she never thinks are reachable...yet I know they are... I believe in her and I am beyond proud of her... as an athlete yes but even more so as a person... and as long as I coach... my future punks will know all about my first packer punk...her and of course the rest of my packer punks...like I said before...those Packer Punks (ALL OF THEM) mean the world to me...and they (EACH and EVERY SINGLE ONE) will always be apart of my life--- and I will always be around if they need me...I am pretty darn blessed to have such amazing people in my life...I am so grateful to say I coached these gals...I am proud to call them my packer punks...I am proud to have that first packer punk in my life still to this day...Jamie Green...a girl that has never lost her smile...and I hope she never does.

No comments: