Tuesday, March 3, 2009

My jr high coaching days.

Today I was reminded of my early early coaching experiences when I was a junior high coach at West Fargo for volleyball and basketball. When I was hired at the time I was somewhere between the age of 21-22...In many ways I was just a big kid myself. But yet I was the one that was left in charge and in control. The first team I coached had athletes on the team that I would be coaching in some form their enite sports career in high school-something I feel was one of my greatest honors-to be apart of their lives starting in the 7th grade and to this day still be apart of their lives...Now when I share someone my out control moments they didn't involve these girls...as you know from the start you kind of know who is an athlete and will actually play and then there's the other group who are there to socialize or the sport serves as an after school baby-sitting program.

Now I remember having what I thought as the simplest of plays for these girls to run...only to find out that it was way over their heads. They forced to me change everything aout my coaching style and fit it to them so they could learn...this was a major challenge for me...that I have found I am still learning from. Let's just say when you have to have equal teams and only have one or two kids that knows what they are doing...chances are you prolli won't win alot. Then again no one did alot of winning...it was all learning. Thou we didn't win I am happy to say they learned and rememebered basic fundamentals with me which I feel carried them much further than an undeated 7th grade season but more importantly I was huge on two things sportsmanship and attitude. And all the girls that have ever been coached by me realize how strict I am when it comes to those two things. My fourth is working hard. Something I feel that all my punks have done while playing for me.

However, even being prepared and organized will not escape you from those coaching moments where you are left dumbfound and speechless because you just can't believe the kid is doin what they are doin. I will never forget a 7th grade volleyball game in Moorhead. Like always when the game starts I am completely into the game and don't pay alot of attention to anything else. As much as I tried to focus I couldn't help but hear this girl at the end of the bench ask all these questions...it went on and on...and I was getting feed up with no one answering her, finally I turned to the girls on the bench and said SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER HER! It was only then as my glance reached the end of the bench did I find that she wasn't asking her teammates questions or even talking to them...she was on her cell phone....I don't think I have ever gotten up so fast. By the time I reached the end of the bench I thought I was still sitting down. I grab the phone out of her hands-told the person um she's goin to have to call you back...she's suppose to be playing in a volleyball game right now...I walked away and sat down. It was only then when I looked back at her and just shook my head...really...I really need to start having talks about no cellphones during games...really...of course the parents behind me were all cracking up.

One of my other out control moments came when coaching a jr. high basketball game at Shanley. Before every game I make sure all the girls go to the bathroom, to avoid them from having to leave the court during the game to go. Of course 2 minutes into the game two girls just had to have to go to the bathroom. Of course I said really...what did I say before we left the locker room...they said coach its all the water we drank....now based on the pee dance they were both giving me I knew they were not lying...So i said you go and come right back! Once again I got completely focused in the game and forgot all about them. In Shanley the way the gym is set up, you can see everyone walk into the gym with all the seating on that side while the teams are on the other side of the gym sitting. It was during free throws when I noticed the two girls standing in the doorway and waitin to be able to cross the court and come back to the bench. As they started their walk towards me I noticed one was holding skittles and the other nachos...it was then I started saying ARE YOU KIDDIN ME...when they reached the end of the bench they were meet by me...I simply took their concession stand purchases and said I thought you two had to pee...well we did coach but we were also hungry..I replied unbelievable...players don't make food runs during THEIR GAMES...I walked away and one asked as I walked away...um coach do we get our purchases...I said after the game...the girl made a huge torked off sound while the other girl goes to her well at least your skittles will still be good my nachos will be wrecked....Thank God my back was to them because that comment basically made me lose it-I had one heck of a time tryin to cover up my laughter.

Junior high coaching...it takes alot because you are forced to play games with players that well if you are lucky you have 10 percent who actually want to be there and actually know what they are doing. The rest well they want to talk on their cell phones or go to the concession stands. But I have found that it can't be about winning or losing when they start out...it will be enough about that later in sports. At that age they need to be taught the core fundamentals, taught about attitude and sportsmanship and above all believed in. And prolli the biggest thing...to have fun while working hard. During my years of coaching junior high I did alot of shaking my head and smiling. And the girls knew right away what that meant...its not something we should do. I never had to raise my voice at any of them....and if i ever did-they knew they were in hot hot water. However challenging it was at times I loved spending my afternoons and tuesday/thursday evenings with them. Just like teaching most the time when I am coaching I am learning prolli more than the kids I coach. Because I am constantly learning about them as people and as players and doing my absolute best on reaching them and getting them to understand not only what I want them to do but to understand what they need to do when they are on that court to the point where I don't have to constantly tell them.

I am always amazed when a coach will say they don't need to change their ways...coaching is teaching and teaching is coaching...you don't just teach or coach to one section of players/learners...if you want to be successful you have to find a way to teach/coach to the entire class or team...why not let a player teach you something. Why not let a team get to know you-and you get to know them outside of being a player or student....heck you may just find yourself learning from them...that's why I feel as a coach/teacher you have your core things that will never change about your philosophy...but the rest should be always changing. Because not every team is the same and I know for certain they aren't all the same kids that learn and do things the same way. Coaching junior high sports where its complete chaos...helped me learn that very simple and important lesson.

No comments: