Monday, March 2, 2009

Happy 90th Birthday Gramps

Today my Gramps, turned 90 years younger...I say younger because he truly has a young heart...still just a kid well a grown up kid but you know what I mean. He is hands down one amazing man that I have been honored to call Gramps. Anyone who meets my grandfather falls in love with him because he is just so darn sweet and cute. I love how each and every time I take his photo (which I tend to take a lot) he will say something like thank you sweetie or thank you beautiful. I love goin to see him and getting one of those bear hugs that he always gives me...and yup he is 90 and he still lifts me off the ground when he hugs me. And he always has the sweetest things to say to me like..ain't you a site for sore eyes, I have missed your beautiful smile...or my favorite just the person I have been waiting for. I love the man to pieces.
He is gentle, caring and kind. A man that I have never in my life hear raise his voice...well at least not at me or my brothers...I am sure he has but never when we were in the room. He was and still is our biggest fan not just in sports but in life. He was the active grandfather when growing up he was ALWAYS doing something with the three of us...playing baseball, basketball, football, cards, puzzles, takin us for bike rides-wagon rides-or walks. Taking us to check on all his birdhouses he had all over Mandan-Bismarck, letting us help him fill the candy machine...and of course always letting us eat as much candy as we wanted...Always taking us on car rides for ice cream or french frieds...He was never too busy for us...and often we were the ones that would get bored before he did...When we played with him he wasn't just our grandfather but our best friend. I think of all the things...the little things he did for my brothers and I...hanging a swingin rope in the back yard, letting us run and prolli ruin his perfect bright green grass, welding rim after rim because we always hung on the rim, letting us feed the birds even thou chances are we scared the birds away, buying us little toys, renting movies he knew we would love, making us popcorn...and so much more. Its all the simple things he did looking back that mean the world to me now and always. My entire life he has filled my life with unconditional love. He has a special connection with each of his children and grandchildren...but to this day I can't help but think how very special the relationship he has with my brothers and me...maybe because we did so much of our growing with him...I think back and see and remember him at so many birthdays, every holiday, on vacations, sporting events, school events, summers, weekends, hunting and fishing...I have a hard time thinkin back to my childhood and not finding a time when he wasn't there...and it didn't stop when we turned 13 or 16...all the way thru to college graduations and so much more.

You have always shown us the pride and joy you find in being apart of our lives, you have always given us your unconditional love, you have always taken the time, you have always treated us with respect...in your eyes we always mattered, always made a difference, always number one. To you it was never about wins or losses...for you were proud no matter what...how do I know or we know...because you always gave us the same hug filled with every ounce of your pride. Because we always saw you choke up and smile when you said you were proud of us...not just in sports but in so many corners of life.

I thank you Gramps for giving so much of your time and your love to three Goldmanns who love you to pieces...but more importantly he gave his very best to all in his family...not just the three of us. Happy Birthday Gramps! I love you!!

No comments: