Sunday, February 22, 2009

Kindergarten Michelle

So on Friday I spent the day with 19 5 to 6 year olds...life as a KINDERGARTENER...and lets just say this...its out of control...Has anyone seen the movie Kindergarten Cop?? Well for most of the day this is what my classroom looked like...everything and anything happened in the hours I spent with these energy stocked kids...and thou it was so uncontrolable...I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT!! I love how kids esp at this age have this amazing way of living in just that single moment....thats all life is to them...ONE MOMENT...they will never remember me after spending just one day with me...yet I am completely changed by the time I spent with them...Who remembers what it was like in Kindergarten?? Prolli not many of us if not all of us...oh how I wish I remember life at this age...Oh how I wish I knew that skinny smiling little blond that I was...Oh how I wish...today was the closest I got to finding that girl and being that girl again....KINDERGARTEN MICHELLE... I included some photos of me around this age of life...what can you tell from the photos? Can you see me and my personality in them...in my eyes, my look, my smile...Just like you should...you can see the energy the joy the laughter the smiles the happiness of being able to just live in that moment...to be in just one single moment...and life meant everything in that just single moment.

I have yet to sub teacher at the elementary level...So when I got a cancellation at the high school and was asked to come to the grade school level I jumped at the chance...and then they informed me...oh and Michelle you will be be spending the day with 19 6yr olds...I replied back...Kindergarten? "Is that okay?" Well might as well be feed to the wolves and all will seem easy after this I said back with a laugh in my voice...and feed to the wolves I was at first.

The moment I started the day i heard...um thats not how teacher does it. Mrs. Ruth does it this way. thats not right...you are doing it wrong...and so on....They were like preditors smelling my fear and chasing after me...however the day got much better and I slowly gained control...however I was called Msssss Gold for the entire day....at least they remembered part of my name!

Here are my top 5 favorite OC moments of the day.....
#5 Being informed by Tally a red headed girl that there are only to be 2 people at the sand box at a time during Centers...I look over and see that I have allowed not just 3 but 4...I said well today there will be 4...as I say this 2 little boys dump shovels of sand on the floor.
#4 Taking the 19 6 year olds to reading that involved a 5 minute walk thru the entire school...which by the way my line started at the reading room and ended in the classroom...I couldn't for the life of my to get all the kids to walk some what together...no matter how many times I stopped...ALSO EVERYONE! EVERYONE!! in the school knew we were in the halls.
#3 Calling my mom during my prep asking her the meaning of words in a book that I was to read to a kindgarten class....i am not proud of this moment...but oh how she loved it!
#2 What are the chances that 17 kids forgot their snack during snack time...i doubt it...they saw what I had to hand out and all of a sudden no one had snacks.
#1 BATHROOM BREAK....have you ever tried to take 19 kids to the bathroom at one time? and not just any age of kids but 19 5 to 6 year olds?? What made this even more crazy is the fact that bathroom is nestled right in the middle of the school so EVERY CLASS can basically hear and see what is goin outside in the John's...There was screaming yelling laughing loud voices running slamming of doors and everything else...let's just say that everyone was looking...and then there was me...standing there trying to control a so uncontrolable situation...I made my first appreance in the males restroom in well ages...I almost forgot what it looked like in there and just how gross it is...my job was to break up a fight that was started by the class trouble maker Turner peein on the toilet seat and sutter cutie Jonnie so not happy to be next in line...I kind of wanted to scream myself and say TURNER GROSS! Instead I did the adult thing and cleaned it up...and proceed to wash my hands for 5 mins after returnin to the classroom....

Honorable Mentions
*
Telling a girl to keep her shirt on for most of the day
*On recess comforting a little girl who was out of the blue homesick and wanted her mom
*Telling Turner (who by the way has a 10 pound head with a blond mop hair style...just might be the cutiest kid ever) to glue isn't really something he should drink like milk even if it is the same color
*Listening to sutter Jonnie the helper of the day talk...since he was the helper he tended to yack alot...I want to steal this kid
*Kendall and Haley...two little blondies...who sit next to each other who are couldn't act so different thou for some reason look aliked...Kendall...perfect little girl...with the matchin hair pieces to her outfit and the kind of kid that brushes her hair and teeth...who follows directions and colors in the line...listens...quiet...perfect...then there was Haley...her direct opposite...I couldn't figure out who I felt more sorry for...Kendall for having to see next to Haley? Or Haley having to sit next to Kendall....turns out it prolli best for both of them
*Rest time...lets get real NO ONE RESTS during REST TIME...NO ONE


It was a day that I felt I had no control over what so ever...I wanted and needed a whistle so bad all day...but at days end I was glad I never had one...I didn't lose any kids, didn't kill any kids, we didn't break anything...well that I know of...didn't lose anything...well that I know of...we got everything covered..I won't say done...but to the best we could...I know I didn't do things even close to how she planned or had in mind....but we got thru it...I didn't sit or have a moment to myself for the entire day...I was always moving always going...and I loved it...It was the first time in a very long time that I lived in one single moment...and it didn't matter what will come or be...we would get to it when we got to it...A whole day of kids and truly playing with them and being with them...How can a smile...a laugh...a look...be some much more different when it comes from these kids? How does it seem to mean more? I loved smiling with them and laughing with them and just interactiving with them....whether they be the class clown, the leader, the pleaser, the shy one, the loud one, the naughty one, the perfect one, the wild one, the calm one....I loved my time with each and everyone of them....And after a day that was completely and utterly chaos and out of control from the very start to the very end...I went home in a state of peace...I was left just feeling happy....knowing they would forget all about me...my moment in their lives was over...but their moment in mine will always remain...life--lessons--growing--learning...its all around us and we will find it in the craziest and most out of control places...and oh the joys of finding it just there.

No comments: