Thursday, February 19, 2009

Your lessons are still with me.

I was reading my blog and I realized that it wasn't just my high school teachers that played a big role in my life...but that honor also belongs to all my teachers...whether they were my 1st grade teacher, 6th grade teacher, or music teacher...thru middle and elem. school..yet it doesn't stop there...I was given an amazing gift to learn and grow from some amazing professors at NDSU...I wish I could stay in touch with each and every single one of you...esp teachers like Dr. Strand, Dr. Barney, Dr. Ary, Dr. Duffield, Dr. Craw...and teachers that I remember being in their classrooms and just what they looked liked yet for the life of me can't remember their names...tends to happen when your post education lasts as long as mine did...I am beyond grateful for such beings who I feel always lived this quote..." I never teach my pupils; I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn." - Albert Einstein..

I have had so many teachers who gave me the room to grow and spread my wings...So many teachers that allowed me to find my own way...Who simply gave me the tools I would need, who stood by for guidence and advice but let me learn in my own and most of the time un-normal way...Teachers like Diane Kuch, Doug Olson, Jan Oihus, Connie Schmidt, Gwen Dinkins, Diana Kutnson, Jan Olson, Becky Theis, Sherry Zacher, Carla Johnson, Craig Becker, Joe Bren, Rex Wenko, Toni Jund, Dave Stuart, Kelly Rasch, Art Schilke, Kathy Enervold, LaVonne Duppong, Bill Suter, Gail Wold, Jeff Baranick, Mary Ann Paul, Tim Paul, Jay Swegarden, Toni Hoff, Tom Schwartz, Loy Ham, Jeff Gemmill, Rick Olwell, Kathy Stiefel, Tanya Doe, Randy Zimmerman, Tracy Steiner...teachers all so different...all had their ways of teaching...some better than others at times...but never one over the other...I walked away as much more well rounded person because of the time and knowledge they brought into my life...some of the lessons I learned from them were easy others were hard...Some were life changing lessons others not so much...Some were a struggle to learn while others just came to me...Some I was forced to learn and didn't see the meaning or understanding behind it until years later...Not every teacher I had was the most amazing teacher ever...but it doens't mean I walked away any less. I know they made mistakes along the way just as I did. I know they were finding theirselves as well...and one must fail and fall in order to grow...I am sure they would do things differently at times looking back just as I would. But for the very most part I was provide an education from teachers you just don't find everyday or just anywhere...but then again some people would disagree with me...Yet I would stand my this...because in the end its just not up to the teacher...a lot of it lies within the student...

Its a give and take relationship...sometimes its 50-50 other times its 70-30 and then flips to 20-80...I think as a student if you open yourself up and allow something new and different it can make a world of difference. I feel that if you carry a positive attitude and realize that the teacher isn't out to get you when they are hard on you, but they are challenging and pushing you to reach further...They are encouraging you to live up to the person that you truly are...I carry their lessons with me everyday of my life...I still am learning from them...and I will still give them the same respect that I gave them when I sat in their classrooms...because thats how much I think of them...thats how honored I am to call them Mr. and Mrs....

Whether I sat in your classroom or played on a team you coached...you have made a difference in my life...and I promise to always challenge myself and push myself in the ways you always did to get me to reach further. I promise to live my life in a way that you would be proud to say I taught that girl...I coached that girl...What you think of me still very much matters to me...You know I will not at times live in a graceful and flawless way...I will mess up and make mistakes but I promise I will always learn from them and try again. I will always try my hardest to be someone of good character and life values. Someone people can count on and lean on. Someone who doesn't give in to failure or pressure...The same person you (my teachers and coaches) saw me as...the person you hoped I would fully be one day. I have no idea where my path is taking me...but know this I take each of you with me...and use your lessons, your knowledge, your teachings as fuel...some alone some all together...each helping me along on this journey of life. You have always made me feel like I matter...that I can make a difference...and in return know that you all my teachers and coaches matter and have made a difference in my life and in so many countless others...we are more of the people we are meant to be because you took the time to teach us, to push up, to challenge us, to help us...We may no longer be in your classrooms but your lessons are still with us...now and always...THANK YOU.

No comments: