Friday, February 27, 2009

You are one of those "special ones."

So today might have been the BEST SNOW DAY on Big Mountain...and where was I??? oh yes Whitefish High teaching...did I want to be there? um thats a big NO...but there I was anyway...and by days end I was glad I spent the day there...I am what you call a slow learner...I am someone that doesn't see what is usually right in front of her...it usually ends up having to slap me across the face for me to see it...well I still find the humor in it...and prolli always will...

Teaching and coaching...well I am meant to do it...I have realized this while spending time with a bunch of Fish Punks...Don't get me wrong I remember that feeling during my days at West Fargo High...and the meaning and purpose all those goons and punks brought into my life...but well I ventured away from that for awhile...why...um...I am still tryin to figure that out...I will go with learning life lessons so I can apply them to teaching and coaching...Also everyone in their dog told me thats what I had to do or something along those lines...and well I don't do so well with being told no this is what you are suppose to do...I feel like its something I should be able to be granted to figure out....and this is something I have been hearing since way back in high school...and of course I was out to prove them wrong...well turns out the jokes and I do mean JOKES (because it took me so long) is on me...and yes I am laughing and smiling and willing to admit that you were right.

I have no idea if the scar on my forehead is really a labeling sticker that means teacher/coach so everyone that see it...knows yup teacher/coach...and I am the only one left in the dark because I can't translate the label...how does everyone see me that simple and that clear?? Am I not seeing something?? I know I have a connection with students but then again I also see it with some many others...what makes mine so much more see-able?

Well whatever it is...I have realized how much teaching and coaching brings into my life...how much direction and meaning it gives me...and above all purpose...esp being single...I can't tell you how full filled I feel when I am in that classroom...a classroom that is not even mine...with students I don't even know...basically in a way doing a job any joe or sally could do if you pulled them off the streets...I don't get it either...but every fiber in my body screams to me...this is where you belong...this is where your journey is wanting to take you...GO...because if you are already feeling this when its not a full time 100 percent your job your classroom your students....wow am I in for a treat when it actually is.

I had a chat with a teacher today...which lead to her sayin to me...yup you are one of those special ones....I didn't understand what she was talkin about...so I felt like a moron and asked what she meant by that...say replied back...the kind of teacher that thinks and believes in all students...that is able to see potential that lies hidden deep within all students...the kind of teacher that believes and hopes in change..who understands, takes the time and relates...I kind of stood there not sure what to say or think really...mainly because one I didn't know how she could see all this in just a sub teacher and two I really didn't know where she was going with this...I am guessing the look on my face told all my thoughts...for I didn't even have to ask again what she meant...she said the kind of teacher that makes a full and complete difference in each and every student...I was left almost dumbfounded...not having a clue what to say...and she ended by saying...its okay Michelle...you don't have to say anything...just teach and coach....It was hands down one of the nicest, kindest and most profound things that has ever been spoken to me....the punchline of it is...those were my thoughts when I viewed her...almost word for word...And for once in my life...I want to do just what she said...just to see if she is right...

No comments: