Thursday, February 12, 2009

What is Life? What is Time?

I was granted a gift this morning...a rare, special gift that I will only recieve TODAY...I awoke this morning and my heart was beating and my lungs were filled with air...and before me laid a brand new day...To do whatever I please with it...and if I am lucky I will be granted tomorrow. I knew someone who went out and bought 1,000 marbles since the average person gets around 1,000 saturdays...it seems like so many until one by one you remove a marble and you start to realize just how precious your time is, what a gift life truly is...you start to realize just how you want to spend your time...Humans...we are amazing breathing walks of life...yet we can be so spoiled so greedy...we think that we have all the time in the world...but really we don't...and we can't count on having tomorrow just today.

I know there are so many days, so many saturdays that I wish I could do more with..but its a lesson I have learned because I have realized the gift my time on this earth is...I am not sure where it will take me tomorrow, where it will take me next week, where it will take me in five years, ten years, twenty-five years....I can't even count on still walking on this earth next month....but I hope I am...I hope that I am granted enough time on this planet to leave my mark...to have something somewhere say Michelle Goldmann was here...something that will last and not fade...a legacy that I am proud of....I am 28 years old and I have done some pretty cool things, gone to some places that take your breathe away, I have people in my life that make this life all worth it...yet I know that I am just getting started. I have yet to see where this journey leads..in the movie Simon Birch there is this quote that I feel just sums up the pace of life..."Time is a monster that cannot be reasoned with. It responds like a snail to our impatience, then it races like a gazelle when you can't catch a breath." How simply put and very true....You find yourself not wanting to waste it...but in order to find the value in it...we must in fact waste it...for some reason humans need to learn through the process of trail and error. Usually it isn't something we learn on the first time around either, because we let our thinking get in the way or our egos....I don't want to waste one moment on this earth...I don't want to waste a single second hating when I can love. I don't want to carry hurt when I can forgive. I don't want to ever think I have too many friends or know too many people....there are still so many out there waiting for me to befriend them. I don't ever want to be too busy making a life to not be able to live my life...I don't ever want to be too busy where I can't find the beauty in a sunset or can't help out someone in need. Why do we always feel like life is meant to be rushed or filled with endless to dos....I undestand this at certain times but so many don't value today...they have the attitude of I will enjoy it tomorrow...what happens if tomorrow never comes?

The one thing that seems to always knock us right on course is death and illness...all of a sudden we think of all we want to do and then it seems like we won't have enough time to do all that we want....well maybe if we start to live our lives for Today...for this moment we won't run into such problems...I am like everyone else...i run around with my head cut off from time to time but most of the time I am that person when you are walking with that walks slow and three steps behind...because I don't see the point in rushing...I came across something written by Crowfoot a Native American Orator...and these words force you to slow down...these are the words I think of and try to see in my life...because in order to see them one must slow down and be in the moment..."What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset." What is life to you? Trust me its something to truly take the time to think about and to value every second you get while you are tryin to figure it out.

No comments: